MP6500 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, Potentiometer Current Control
This breakout board for the MPS MP6500 microstepping bipolar stepper motor driver is Pololu’s latest stepper motor driver. The module has a pinout and interface that are very similar to that of our popular A4988 carriers, so it can be used as a drop-in replacement for those boards in many applications.
The MP6500 offers up to 1/8-step microstepping, operates from 4.5 V to 35 V, and can deliver up to approximately 1.5 A per phase continuously without a heat sink or forced air flow (up to 2.5 A peak). This version of the board uses an on-board trimmer potentiometer for setting the current limit, and the board ships with 0.1″ male header pins included but not soldered in.
This product is a carrier board or breakout board for the MP6500 stepper motor driver from Monolithic Power Systems (MPS); we therefore recommend careful reading of the MP6500 datasheet (1MB pdf) before using this product. This stepper motor driver lets you control one bipolar stepper motor at up to approximately 1.5 A per phase continuously without a heat sink or forced air flow (see the Power dissipation considerations section below for more information). Here are some of the driver’s key features:
- Simple step and direction control interface
- Four different step resolutions: full-step, half-step, 1/4-step, and 1/8-step
- Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output, which lets you use voltages above your stepper motor’s rated voltage to achieve higher step rates
- Two current limit control options available:
- Potentiometer Current Control — this carrier version uses an on-board trimmer potentiometer to set the current limit up to 2.5 A
- Digital Current Control — this carrier version allows a microcontroller to dynamically adjust the current limit up to around 2 A
- Internal current sensing allows the driver to automatically adjust the decay mode as necessary to provide the smoothest current waveform
- 4.5 V to 35 V supply voltage range
- Can deliver 1.5 A per phase continuously without additional cooling
- Built-in regulator (no external logic voltage supply needed)
- Can interface directly with 3.3 V and 5 V systems
- Over-temperature thermal shutdown, over-current shutdown, short circuit protection, and under-voltage lockout
- 4-layer, 2 oz copper PCB for improved heat dissipation
- Exposed solderable ground pad below the driver IC on the bottom of the PCB
- Module size, pinout, and interface match those of our A4988 stepper motor driver carriers in most respects
The MP6500 stepper motor driver carrier ships with one 1×16-pin breakaway 0.1″ male header. The headers can be soldered in for use with solderless breadboards or 0.1″ female connectors. You can also solder your motor leads and other connections directly to the board.
|Size:||0.6″ × 0.8″|
|Minimum operating voltage:||4.5 V|
|Maximum operating voltage:||35 V|
|Continuous current per phase:||1.5 A2|
|Maximum current per phase:||2.5 A3|
|Minimum logic voltage:||2.1 V4|
|Maximum logic voltage:||6 V5|
|Microstep resolutions:||full, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8|
|Current limit control:||potentiometer|
|Reverse voltage protection?:||N|
|Header pins soldered:||N|
|PCB dev codes:||md33a, md33b|
|Other PCB markings:||0J10855, 0J11019|
- Without included optional headers.
- Without a heat sink or forced air flow.
- With sufficient additional cooling.
- This is the input logic high threshold.
- Absolute maximum voltage on any input is 6.5 V.