Pololu Adjustable Boost Regulator 4-25V
The Pololu adjustable boost regulator is a very flexible switching regulator (also called a switched-mode power supply, SMPS, or DC-to-DC converter) that can generate voltages higher than its input voltage.
- Output adjustable from 4 V to 25 V.
The output voltage can be set using the trimmer potentiometer in the upper-right corner of the board. The input voltage range is 1.5 V to 16 V (the input voltage should be kept below the output voltage). The integrated 2 A switch allows for output currents high enough to drive small motors, as in the 3pi robot, and allows large voltage gains, such as obtaining 24 V from two NiMH cells.
Some example applications include:
- Powering 5 V systems from lower-voltage batteries.
- Powering 5 V subsystems (e.g. sensors) in lower-voltage (e.g. 3.3 V) systems.
- Achieving consistent actuator operation when powered by fluctuating batteries
- Powering high-brightness LEDs or a large number of LEDs in series
Using the Boost Regulator
The boost regulator has just three connections: the input voltage, ground, and the output voltage. These three connections are labeled on the back side of the PCB, and they are arranged with a 0.1" spacing along the edge of the board for compatibility with solderless breadboards, connectors, and other prototyping arrangements that use a 0.1" grid. You can solder wires directly to the board or solder in either the 3×1 straight male header strip or the 3×1 right-angle male header strip that is included.
- Input voltage: 1.5 V to 16 V
- Output adjustable from 4V to 25V
- 750 kHz switching frequency
- 2 A switch (and input) limit
- integrated over-temperature and over-current shutoff
- typical efficiency of 80-90% when doubling voltage and with 100-500 mA output
- Small size: 10.7 x 22.4 x 5.8 mm (0.42″ x 0.88″ x 0.23″)
- Weight without header pins: 1.6 g (0.06 oz)
- Minimum operating voltage: 1.5V
- Maximum operating voltage: 16V (Absolute max. The operating voltage should not exceed the set output voltage, VOUT.)
- Minimum output voltage: 4V
- Maximum output voltage: 25V
- Reverse voltage protection: No
- Maximum quiescent current: 30mA (With no load. Actual quiescent current ranges from 2 to 30 mA depending on input voltage and output voltages.)