Sharp’s distance sensors are a popular choice for many projects that require accurate distance measurements. This particular sensor is small and affordable, making it an attractive alternative to sonar rangefinders, while its wide sensing range and resistance to interference from ambient IR set it apart from other IR distance sensors.
It consists of a Sharp GP2Y0A60SZLF module installed on our compact carrier board, which includes all of the external components required to make it work and provides a 0.1″ pin spacing that is compatible with standard connectors, solderless breadboards, and perfboards. With an ability to measure distances from as close as four inches to as far as five feet (10 cm to 150 cm), this sensor has the widest range of any of our Sharp distance sensors, and its 60 Hz update rate is more than twice that of Sharp’s older GP2Y0A02YK0F analog distance sensor that has a similar sensing range.
Interfacing to most microcontrollers is straightforward: the single analog output, OUT, can be connected to an analog-to-digital converter for taking distance measurements, or the output can be connected to a comparator for threshold detection. The sensor automatically updates the output approximately every 16 ms. The enable pin, EN, can be driven low to disable the IR emitter and put the sensor into a low-current stand-by mode. This pin is pulled high on the carrier board through a 10 kΩ pull-up resistor to enable the sensor by default.
- Operating voltage:
- 5V version: 2.7 V to 5.5 V
- Average current consumption: 33 mA (typical)
- Distance measuring range: 10 cm to 150 cm (4″ to 60″)
- Output type: analog voltage
- Output voltage differential over distance range:
- 5V version: 3.0 V (typical)
- Update period: 16.5 ± 4 ms
- Enable pin can optionally be used to disable the emitter and save power
- Size without header pins: 33 mm × 10.4 mm × 10.2 mm (1.3″ × 0.41″ × 0.4″)
- Weight without header pins: 2.5 g (0.09 oz)
GP2Y0A60SZLF/GP2Y0A60SZ0F datasheet (701k pdf)
Pololu Carrier for Sharp GP2Y0A60SZLF Analog Distance Sensor schematic (142k pdf) Printable schematic for the Pololu Carrier for Sharp GP2Y0A60SZLF Analog Distance Sensor.
Pololu Carrier with Sharp GP2Y0A60SZLF Analog Distance Sensor 10-150cm dimension diagram (154k pdf)