The Surveyor rover was developed in partnership with RAL Space, part of the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) and European Space Agency (ESA) Partner.
The Linckia controller at the heart of the Rover is the consumer level development of the RAL Space Robotics Team's work on terrestrial test platforms used in the research, development and testing of rover navigation algorithms used by the ESA.
It features a custom GUI meaning novices can get started driving the rover around by simply connecting your Laptop, PC, Phone or Tablet to the wifi network the Linkia Controller puts out, or link it to your home wifi to be able to access the robot remotely from anywhere in the world. Advanced users can access the onboard linux kernel and program to their hearts content.
Linckia v5.0 Controller
- Carambola2 wifi enabled processor, featuring a Qualcomm/Atheros AR9331 SoC @400MHz
- OpenWRT linux kernel
- Custom easy access control GUI
- Leonardo compatible Arduino, with ATMEGA32U4
- 4 Port Powered USB Hub, 3 available for expansion use
- 1S Lithium Battery Charger, with reverse polarity protection
- 2-5v Power Management
- 4 DC Motor Drivers, 1.5A per 2 Channels, can be paired and used as 2 Stepper Motor Controllers
- 3 PWM outputs, usable as Servo Control Outputs
- 6 Analog Inputs, optional self-battery monitoring
- 2 Serial Ports
- 1 I2C
- Self-reset and On/Off switch
- 3 LEDs
- 5v and 3.3v Outputs
The Linckia v5.0 Controller really packs a punch in terms of features and capability, and comes in at only 50mm x 50mm in size. The huge amount of expansion capability both in hardware and software is staggering, with full access to the OpenWRT kernel you can program in a variety of languages and access the onboard hardware. For novices there is an easy to use GUI accessable by connecting over wifi, you can drive the rover, view cameras and even create custom interfaces to the Linckia's onboard hardware I/O, all from your web browser. The software behind the Linckia is also Open Source, see the projects Github page for details:
- Sturdy Anodised Aluminium Chassis
- 2 250:1 Geared DC Motors
- Robust Plastic Tracks with Bearing Mounted Wheels
- Battery Compartment
- Power Switch
- USB Webcam
The Surveyor AR1 Chassis features a sturdy Aluminium construction, high torque geared motors with great tracks enabling it to rove across a variety of terrain. The USB Webcam integrates directly into the Linckia Controller and lets you remotely explore your surroundings.
This product comes unassembled in kit form, full instructions for assembly are included.
For details on the Autonomous Systems Group at STFC/RALSpace