Propeller Chip - 40-Pin DIP Chip
The Propeller module is a multi-processing chip, with shared memory and a built-in interpreter for programming in a high-level object-oriented language, called Spin™, and low-level (assembly) language. With the set of pre-built Parallax "objects" for video, mice, keyboards, NTSC/VGA displays, LCDs, stepper motors and sensors your application is a matter of high-level integration with Propeller chips.
The Propeller chips are designed for high-speed embedded processing, while maintaining low power, low current consumption and a small physical footprint.
The P8X32A-D40 is most useful for prototyping in its 40-pin DIP package.
Connecting the Propeller module to your computer's serial or USB port using our Prop Plug for programming is quite simple. The Propeller chip can run on its own with a power supply, internal clock and using RAM for code storage. Add an external EEPROM for non-volatile code storage.
- Model Number: P8X32A-D40
- Processors (cogs): Eight
- Architecture: 32-bits
- System Clock Speed: DC to 80 MHz
- Global RAM/ROM: 64 K bytes; 32 K RAM / 32 K ROM
- Cog RAM: 512 x 32 bits each
- I/O Pins: 32 (simultaneously addressable by all eight cogs)
- Current Source/Sink per I/O: 40 mA
- Clock Modes: (a) External crystal 4 -8 MHz (16 x PLL) (b) Internal oscillator ~12 MHz or ~20 kHz (c) Direct drive
- Package Type: 40-pin DIP
- Propeller Educational Kit [40-pin]
- HYDRA Game Development Kit
- Game Programming for the Propeller-Powered HYDRA Book with Propeller Chip
- P0-P31: General purpose I/O. Can source/sink 40 mA each at 3.3 VDC
- P31: Rx from host (general purpose I/O after boot up).
- P30: Tx to host (general purpose I/O after boot up/download).
- P29: I2C SDA connection to external EEPROM (general purpose I/O after boot up).
- P28: I2C SCL connection to external EEPROM (general purpose I/O after boot up).
- Vdd: 3.3 V power (2.7 - 3.6 VDC).
- Vss: Ground (0 VDC).
- BOEn: Brown Out Enable (active low). Must be connected to either Vdd or Vss. If low, RESn becomes a weak output (~5 KΩ) for monitoring purposes but can be driven low to cause reset. If high, RESn is a CMOS input with Schmitt Trigger.
- RESn: Reset (active low). When low, resets the Propeller chip; all cogs disabled and I/O pins floating. Propeller restarts 50 ms after RESn transitions from low to high.
- XI: Crystal / clock input. Can connect to crystal or oscillator.
- XO: Crystal Output. Provides feedback for an external crystal. Internal C and R selectable for crystals (no other components required).
- Power requirements: 2.7 to 3.3 VDC
- Communication: Serial for programming
- Dimensions: 0.48 x 2.0 x 0.13 in (12.3 x 51 x 3.41 mm)
- Operating temp range: -67 to +257 â”¬â–‘F (-55 to +125 â”¬â–‘C)