P2 Edge Module
The P2 Edge Module is a simple way to get started with the Propeller 2 multicore microcontroller.
In addition to speeding development, this module provides an optimal P2 building block for system integrators and designers to include in their products.
The Propeller 2 P2X8C4M64P chip contains over 32 million transistors and >70 mm2 of custom silicon, 10x that of a typical microcontroller. The P2 contains 8 independent processors with analog pad rings and Smart-pin functionality at all 64 I/O pins. Each smart I/O pin is capable of many autonomous analog and digital functions, including ADC, DAC, PWM, USB, SERIAL, Waveform generation, SMPS, Comparator, SCHMITT and LOGIC modes.
The P2 Edge Module includes the exposed-pad 100-pin TQFP P2X8C4M64P, core and I/O power regulators, power filtering capacitors, crystal, flash memory, boot configuration switches, and two user-configurable on-board LEDs to indicate system states. The PCB’s six-layer design features solid thermal and signal reference planes isolating each signal layer. The design is optimized for low-noise analog and digital operation, and with low temperature rise even at high-speed operation.
For development, the P2 Edge Module fits in the card edge socket of the spacious P2 Edge Module Breadboard, the compact P2 Edge Mini Breakout Board, or the bare-bones P2 Edge 80-pin Adapter Kit. For product integration, several edge socket choices are available. This arrangement allows developers to integrate the Propeller 2 into products without the need for multi-layer cost or expertise.
- Voltage input requirements: 5 VDC; absolute maximum 5.5 VDC
- Voltage input protection: reverse voltage
- Propeller 2 chip: P2X8C4M64P (8 cogs, 512 KB hub RAM, 64 smart pins)
- Non-volatile Memory: 16 MB (128 Mb) SPI Flash
- Crystal: 20 MHz SMT
- Smart I/O pins: 64 accessible, 56 fully free, grouped in 8 sets of 8 I/Os
- Smart I/O pin logic voltage: 3.3 V
- Input Current requirements: 100 mA minimum, 2000 mA typical
- Internal VDD Power Supply: 1.8 V up to 2 A, 1 MHz nominal switching frequency
- VIO Power Supplies: 3.3V up to 300 mA per 8 I/O pins
- Edge Connector: Double sided 80 way 0.05” (1.27mm) pitch edge slot
- Programming: Serial up to 2MBaud
- Operating temperature: -40 to +185 °F (-40 to +85 °C)
- PCB Dimensions: 1.45 x 2.04 in (37 x 52 mm)