With these boards, it’s easy to get a medium-sized, differential drive robot running in no time. For even better control, the VNH2 version includes current sensing and can operate a higher PWM frequency (20 KHz) than its VNH3 counterpart.
The Pololu dual high-power motor drivers are compact carriers for the VNH3SP30 and VNH2SP30 motor driver integrated circuits from ST. The board incorporates most of the components of the typical application diagram on page 8 of the VNH2SP30 datasheet, including pull-up and current-limiting resistors and a FET for reverse battery protection. (The current sense circuit is populated on both versions of the board, but only the VNH2SP30 supports current sense.)
To keep the number of I/O lines down, the two enable/diagnostic lines on each chip are tied together. All you need to add is a microcontroller or other control circuit to turn the H-Bridges on and off.
- Motor driver: VNH2SP30
- Motor channels: 2
- Minimum operating voltage: 5.5 V
- Maximum operating voltage: 16 V
- Continuous output current per channel: 14 A
- Peak output current per channel: 30 A
- Continuous paralleled output current: 25 A
- Current sense: 0.13 V/A
- Maximum PWM frequency: 20 kHz
- Reverse voltage protection?: Y (there are unprotected electrolytic capacitors that will be damaged bt reverse voltage)