NAO’s many sensors and actuators, convenient size, and attractive appearance, combined with sophisticated embedded software, makes it a unique humanoid robot ideal for many research fields.
NAO boasts, for example, face and object recognition, automatic speech recognition, text-to-speech, and whole body motion.
Aldebaran Robotics NAO is a programmable, 57-cm tall humanoid robot with the following key features:
- Body with 25 degrees of freedom (DOF) whose key elements are electric motors and actuators
- Sensor network, including 2 HD cameras, 4 directional microphones, sonar rangefinder, 2 IR emitters and receivers, 1 inertial board, 9 tactile sensors, and 8 pressure sensors
- Various communication devices, including voice synthesizer, LED lights, and 2 high-fidelity speakers
- Intel ATOM 1,6Ghz CPU (located in the head) that runs a Linux kernel and supports Aldebaran’s proprietary middleware (NAOqi)
- Second CPU ARM-9 processor (located in the torso)
- 48.6-watt-hour battery that provides NAO with 1.5 or more hours of autonomy, depending on usage