The ELEV-8 quadcopter is a flying robotic platform that is lifted and propelled by four fixed rotors.
There are no fixed wings; all of the lift is created from the rotors.
Unlike standard helicopters a quadcopter uses fixed-pitch blades, whose rotor pitch does not vary as the blades rotate; control of vehicle motion is achieved by varying the relative speed of each rotor to change the thrust and torque produced by each.
The quadcopter uses a HoverFly board with a Propeller multicore microprocessor to electronically control stabilization of the aircraft. The benefits to this system are a stable platform, with no mechanical linkages for a small maneuverable and agile aircraft.
The kit provides an inexpensive way to get involved in the quadcopter arena. The kit includes; frame, mounting hardware, motors, speed controllers, propellers and the control board for flight stabilization. (the only thing you need to provide is the RC radio equipment, battery). We recommend a six channel RC radio.
The ELEV-8 platform is large enough for outdoor flight and has plenty of room for payload and attachments (up to 2 lbs).
NOTE: This kit is not for beginners, it takes a moderate amount of mechanical skill, for building and flying. The ELEV-8 quadcopter kit requires an average of 8 hours to assemble; RC experience is highly recommended.
- Open under body for camera mounting options
- Open Source; design files available online
- Highly modifiable, for custom additions
- Protected Electronics
- Common 4-40 hardware
- Modular frame for fast repair
- Protective motor mounts
- Can fly with added payloads up to 2 lbs
- Light weight 2.5 lbs fully assembled (without battery)
- Size 18 3/8 inches (467 mm) motor center to motor center -- 20 1/4" X 20 1/4 inches (514 mm) -- Main body/frame 7" X 7" (177mm) -- Height 7" (177mm)
- 2 - APC 10X4.7 & 2 - APC 10X4.7P composite propellers
- 4 - Turnigy Plush-25A ESCs
- 4 - Turnigy 2217 - 860kv motors
- 4 - Anodized 6061 5/8" - .035 aluminum round tube
WARNING: Due to the size of this platform, it can cause serious damage or injury. There is no protection around any of the propellers. We recommend using the RCAPA guidelines for safe use of this aircraft (http://www.rcapa.net/guidelines.aspx).
Disclaimer of liability: Parallax Inc. and/or Active Robots Ltd. is not responsible for any special, incidental, or consequential damages and personal injuries, including that to life and health, resulting from the customer’s application and use of any Parallax Inc. products. You, the customer, assume full and unlimited responsibility for all customer ELEV-8 Quadcopter applications and uses.