NAO’s many sensors and actuators, convenient size, and attractive appearance, combined with sophisticated embedded software, makes it a unique humanoid robot ideal for many research fields.
NAO boasts, for example, face and object recognition, automatic speech recognition, text-to-speech in nineteen languages, and whole body motion.
Aldebaran Robotics NAO is a programmable, 57-cm tall humanoid robot with the following key features:
- Body with 25 degrees of freedom (DOF) whose key elements are electric motors and actuators
- Sensor network, including 2 cameras, 4 microphones, sonar rangefinder, 2 IR emitters and receivers, 1 inertial board, 9 tactile sensors, and 8 pressure sensors
- Various communication devices, including voice synthesizer, LED lights, and 2 high-fidelity speakers
- Intel ATOM 1,6ghz CPU (located in the head) that runs a Linux kernel and supports Aldebaran’s proprietary middleware (NAOqi)
- Second CPU (located in the torso)